2cups (240g) cake flour
½ tsp (2,5 ml) salt
1tbsp (15ml) baking powder
¼ cup (62.5 ml) butter fridge temperature cut into small cubes
1 extra large egg
½ cup (125ml) buttermilk or plain yoghurt
3-4 tbsp (45-60ml) water
Cinnamon sugar mix
2/4 cup (180ml) soft brown sugar
¼ cup 60ml) of white sugar
1 tbsp (15ml) of cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon (0.6ml) ground cloves or nutmeg
¼ teaspoon of salt
1tbsp of melted butter
1 cup of icing (confectioners) sugar
zest of one lemon
2-3 tbsp of lemon juice
Pre heat the oven to 190° C
Butter a 22cm cake pan really well and line the base with baking paper.
1) Make the cinnamon sugar. In a small bowl combine the sugars, spices and salt. Add the 1 tablespoon of melted butter and mix with a fork to form a mixture that looks like wet sand.
2) Sift the flour, salt and baking powder together in a large bowl.
3) Toss the butter through and then rub it in gently with the tips of your fingers or a pastry cutter, to form a coarse crumbly mixture.
4) Beat the egg, yoghurt (or buttermilk) and water with a fork and add it to the dry ingredients. Mix with a knife to form soft dough.
5) Roll the dough out on a well floured board to a 35cm x 25cm rectangle. Brush the dough with 2 tbsp of melted butter.